Friday, September 07, 2012

Answers to Your Paperwork Questions

I'm going to answer your questions here regarding your paperwork questions.  Any new Questions will be updated and posted at the top.
Updated 10/10/12
1) I loooooove Evernote. But it never occurred to me to use it for this purpose! I just tested taking a pic of a doc with my phone in Evernote and it worked! The text in the picture WAS searchable. This method is much more likely for me to actually implement because I have a serious procrastination problem when I have to scan things (computer and scanner are in different rooms, etc)
Don't you just love that Evernote recognizes text in pics.  I take "snapshots" of websites, magazine articles and hand written notes all the time.  One of the most under utilized features of Evernote is its powerful search engine.  In the future i will be doing a complete series on how and why I have Evernote set up the way i do and how I try to maximize its use. 

2) what benefits does the premium Evernote account have that inspired you to upgrade? 
For me it is the monthly upload increase and capacity, even greater search capabilities and speed and sharing capabilities.  here are all the wonderful features you get with a premium account 

3) Google Drive intrigues me. Did all your former Google docs move in there? I have Google docs and am wondering if that is all different now. Must look into it. 
Google Docs converted to Google Drive. When I did the "upgrade" all my documents were there as always.  The two additions that i really liked with the upgrade were the desktop and iPhone/iPad apps.  For the desktop it allows me to drag recently scanned documents directly into the appropriate Google drive folder without having to actually upload files.  Having an app on my idevice makes it so much easier to finds things I need when i am out and about.  

4) thank you so much for taking the time to write this all up. You have given me some great new ideas. Paperwork is THE biggest frustration in my home management efforts
I am glad you are finding these posts helpful.  please keep the questions coming.  I love sharing what I have learned and want to share this freedom with everyone I possibly can.  You are not alone on the paperwork frustrations and i have certainly learned the hard and long way that it doesn't have to be that way.

I also received the following tip for those concerned with using any online storage sites:
We back up everything to 2 external hard drives.
We have not ruled this out for our own family as well.



Here ya go:

Do you have desk time 7 days a week?
No, I typically only have desk time Monday-Friday.  My only usual exception is if something comes in the mail on Saturday and I needed it to finalize something else.  OR, if I have a crazy week, I will finish up a few final things on Saturday.  Sunday is reserved for worship, fellowship and rest.  

How does that look in your daily schedule (ie when and for how long)? 
This does vary, but typically it takes me approximately 30 minutes to initially handle my paperwork each day.   I take care of everything I can while my youngest two are eating breakfast and handling their morning chores.  Then, all the things that are pending the mails arrival I handle for a few minutes after lunch.  Anything that is pending a phone call I will either handle as the call comes in or call when we are done with school for the day.  I will go into even greater detail on this when I do my post on my daily/weekly paperwork.

Is that day's file empty when you end your desk time? 
Yes, I reach "Inbox Zero" on my desk.  I process every piece of paper, every day.  Hopefully to completion, but if not, I move it to pending for the next day.  At the end of the week, all my daily folders are empty in the expandable file folder ready for the next weeks paperwork.  

 Will you be posting more details on your paperwork system? 
 Yes, I believe I am going to turn this into an entire series.  Not only to answer questions, but to give more specific details in certain areas. 

I was just wondering more on what was in the daily/ weekly folders. 
 While I give a general overview of the daily/weekly folders here, I plan on doing an entire blog post to better explain this part of my system.

AND more about your miscellaneous ones! ;)
 I finally got that one done tonight.  You can find it here.