Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Why I love almond milk

I have always been a huge milk fan. Loved it as a child and still love it as much today. The more serious I got about eating healthy the more I realized I really didn't have room in my clean eat diet (noun) to drink my calories away.  Enter almond milk. 

So what and how do I use almond milk?  Except for the very occasional batch of homemade ice cream I have completely replaced cows milk with almond milk.

 I use the unsweetened milk to add to whole grain cereal, oatmeal, in any cooking or baking I do (even cake).

I use the vanilla almond milk as a creamer for my coffee.  At 90 calories per cup it is a great alternative to all the flavored creamers you find in the grocery store and it doesn't have all the unpronounceable junk that those creamers have either.  Nor does it have the fat or calories. If I were to drink a glass of milk I would drink the unsweetened with a splash of the vanilla. 

Now to the delectable dark chocolate almond milk.  In all honesty I have actually only drank this once.  This is just not where I want my calories to go.  My kids, however, are a completely different story.  At just 120 calories, it is a much healthier alternative to other chocolate milk choices.  And you have to be careful at that because one day we came home with something called chocolate drink.  WHAT?!?!  My oldest daughter drinks 6-8 ounces every day.  with my youngest two I mix theirs with equal parts dark chocolate almond milk or and the unsweetened almond milk. Probably about 5 ounces total.  I've tasted it and it tastes more like regular chocolate milk, rather than than the succulent dark chocolate. Occasionally my oldest son will drink a glass as well.  The rule is they can only have one glass a day and I only buy one carton a week. 

Another thing I love about this milk:  the expiration date.  I have never, ever had to throw out an ounce of this milk.  Away from the house unexpectedly for a few days?  You don't come home to a soured carton of milk.  We are not big milk drinkers here, but we go through a carton of each of these milks a week. 

If you or someone you know has been sitting on the fence about this milk just give it a try.  I noticed as i got the image for this post that they have a coupon link on their website.

*i have not been compensated in any way for this post.  I just wanted to share about a great product. 

No comments: