Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Our Plans vs God's Plans

The Pelsers 7 Tools Book Club
I have to admit, I am Type A personality and I am a HUGE planner. I have to be careful with this though. There are times that if I am not careful I Unintentionally plan God right out of the picture. I try to take complete control.
I had a life plan when I was younger. I wanted to be an attorney. A Husband was optional and I considered kids a no go. Thankfully God had different plans. Plans more amazing than I could possibly dream.
As my oldest child neared pre-k age I looked at private school options knowing that public school simply wasn't an option where we lived. Soon into the process I began to get a prompting from the Lord to investigate home schooling. WHAT!?!?! No way! I only knew one person who home schooled growing up and quite frankly he was just strange. I did NOT want my child turning out like that! Yet the more I investigated and the more I learned, the more I fell I love with the idea.
I prayed about it for MONTHS before even mentioning it to my husband. After much begging and pleading he very reluctantly agreed to try it for one year. As we now enter our 13th year of homeschooling we have no regrets in our obedience to the Lord and have come to see the real fruit of His amazing plans.
In reading the introduction and appendix this last week, Zan Tyler's story reminded me that I have much to be thankful. Without her brave obedience in a time when home school was completely taboo, I might not have the freedoms that our family so enjoys today. Reading her story reminded me of my own in that she had plans for her life, but God had better plans.
There are times God saves us in spite of ourselves, but the journey is so much better, though not necessarily easier, if we follow His promptings and rely on Him for direction. Zan's early days of home schooling sounded down right terrifying. Despite the odds she and her family battled on, not just for their own sake but for the sake of those following.
When I just had two children I was very actively involved in the political aspect of homeschooling. I stayed up to date on all the legislation and was proactive in making phone calls as needed. Since adding two more children, including one special needs child, I have become more complacent in this area. Zan's story has reminded me of the importance to stay involved and be proactive. After all, our home school freeedoms (or any freedom actually) could be just one bill away from being gone.

2 comments:

Eileen Marie Miller said...

It is so interesting to hear how many others did not intend to homeschool originally....but through a short time have fallen in love with it.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that you were obedient. Your obedience was what kept me going when I just didn't think I could. I love you, friend. I'm so thankful for your presence in my life and your unrelenting example of God's amazing grace to me. :)